IN THIS EDITION:
* Australian-bred and trained Vow And Declare has held off the international challenge to win the Melbourne Cup, giving jockey Craig Williams his first success in Australia’s greatest race.
* It would be fairly easy to calculate how much water the Darling River needed to keep it flowing and towns alive, according to Clayton Barr, the NSW Shadow Minister for Water.
* The Silverton Gaol is celebrating its 130th year on Sunday, but it almost didn’t make it after it was advertised for public auction in the 1960s.
* In recent weeks community voices have increasingly shared their experience of the major problem we are facing as a nation – drought.
* Grey weather greeted the players on closing day. However, the day turned out to be terrific at the closing ambrose event with trophies donated by the Saint John’s Ambulance Brigade.
* Six locals will be travelling to Cyprus tonight to take part in an international blackball competition that begins this weekend.